Tuesday 10 May 2011

PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT

“Performance management can be defined as a strategic and integrated approach to delivering sustained success to organisations by improving the performance of the people who work in them and by developing the capabilities of teams and individual contributors.
Performance management is strategic in the sense that it is concerned with the broader issues facing the business if it is to function effectively in its environment and with the general direction in which it intends to go to achieve longer-term goals.” Armstrong, M. (2006)

The main purpose of the performance management strategy is to provide the means to help an organisation and its’ employees get better results. It involves an approach to managing people in a way that increases the probability of achieving proposed targets. One of the methods of the Performance Management is appraisals. Appraisals require line managers to appraise the performance of their staff, usually on an annual basis. Then the employee and the manager take part in the meeting to review the employee’s performance.

Describe an appraisal you have had at work.  Was it effective?  What were the outputs of the meeting?

When I worked as a sales assistant in Leroy Merlin, I had an appraisal after half a year of working there. The meeting was conducted by the department executive, Claudia. She started the conversation in a very friendly way, asking first about my life, school and plans. Afterwards we started a conversation about my work in the company, she wanted to know if I liked working for this organisation and if I had any problems related to work.  During the conversation, she discussed with me my main duties and responsibilities which should be carried out, along with what was going to be expected from me. She acquainted me with some of the main aims and plans of the organisation. At the end I was given very positive feedback for my work.

I found the appraisal very effective. The meeting was conducted in a nice and friendly way which meant that I did not get nervous or stressed.  It was also very helpful, as it was a great chance to talk with my department executive about problems and some other issues related to my work. I was very satisfied with the appraisal and the meeting, at the end, I felt very motivated to achieve my new targets.

Read the article from The Times on mentoring.  What skills do you think are required to be an effective mentor?
                           
Let me start with the definition of the word “Mentor.” A mentor is a wise and trusted teacher and guide. According to Beardwell, I., Holden, L. and Claydon, T. (2004, p.299) mentors are more experienced employees, who help, encourage or support younger or less experienced employees. They are supposed to help other people with their challenges and achieving goals.  To be an effective mentor, there are many skills required. First of all a mentor needs to be experienced so he/she is able to help and provide an appropriate type of information. He/she has to be a good listener, so he/she can listen and understand the needs of other people.  Secondly, an effective mentor needs to have skills and qualities which will be respected by their protégés. A good level of communication and people-developing skills is also required. A mentor also has to be patient and emphatic. Overall, mentors should be able to identify their proteges’ weaknesses and strengths and encourage them to analyse their target performance. They are expected to guide, support, caution and help their protégés to hit the set target.

Identify someone from your college/uni, school, work, social life who has been a mentor to you.  How have they affected your life?

A person who has been a mentor to me for my whole my life is my Grandma. She always helps me to solve my problems and guides me through my life, she is always there when I need and I believe that without her support, I would not have been able to achieve most of the things I have achieved. My Grandma has knows me the better than anyone and she always listens to me and understands my needs. My Grandma, as a mentor, affected me by changing my perspectives on life. I am very respectful and thankful to her for that.

To conclude, I think that performance management is extremely important in every organisation. Giving appraisals is effective for both, organisation and employees. It makes employees feel important and well motivated in achieving their tasks. Motivated and hard-working employees are the key to success of every organisation.

References:

-              Armstrong, M (2006) Strategic Human Resource Management. Third Edition. London and Philadelphia: Kogan Page.
-              Beardwell, I., Holden, L. and Claydon, T. (2004) Human Resource Management: A Contemporary Approach. Forth Edition. Harlow: Pearson Education Limited.
-              The Times (2010) [Online] Available at: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/entrepreneur/article3778514.ece [Accessed: 20th April 2011]

No comments:

Post a Comment